ENGINEERING INTERN (Chicago)
This is an internship position involved in the application of engineering fundamentals to design of building structural systems. This is a developmental position in which the engineer learns to apply theoretical knowledge to practical application and familiarizes themselves with the design process in a modern engineering office.
The following duties are typical of the position but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
- Performs routine design tasks such as member design, load calculation, and some shop drawing review. Independently research unfamiliar topics as required to perform design tasks.
- Is encouraged to try to solve engineering problems using judgment and education but is expected to ask for assistance when needed.
- Learn pre-written computer programs and input data into those programs. Review and develop understanding of output.
- Research code issues, structural systems, etc. under direction of Senior Level Engineers.
- Develop sketches and/or drawings for designs as appropriate.
- Maintain neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
Knowledge and Experience Required:
- Enrollment in or completion of a Bachelors of Engineering Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from an accredited university is required.
- Enrollment in a Masters of Engineering Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering is preferred.
- No previous design experience is required.