BASELine – Spring 2023
Movin’ on up!
We’re pleased to announce the promotion of five team members. Everyone has played a significant role in our firm’s success and we are so grateful to have them on our team. Hopefully you’ve had a chance to work with these great people and know them professionally, but we asked them to respond to three questions so you can know them a little bit personally, too.
- What’s your favorite project at BASE that you worked on and why?
- What’s your dream job?
- You have to sing karaoke. What song do you pick?
Yuriy Mikhaylov, SE | Associate | Guam
Yuriy joined BASE in 2010 and has been leading our Guam office since 2012. He is responsible for structural design, construction administration, and special inspection.
- J-318 Public Works. The project was well organized and the team was a pleasure to work with.
- This is my dream job, but if I had to pick something else I’d learn to make wooden instruments (guitar, violin, cello).
- This would never happen, even hypothetically.
Leon Chan, SE | Senior Structural Engineer | Honolulu
Leon has 10 years of design experience and is adept at assisting contractors with QC and constructability issues.
- The wedding chapel at Four Seasons Resort at Ko Olina because I liked working on the complex wood framing. Also, my friends attended a wedding there and it’s great to see others appreciate a structure you helped design.
- Journalist and/or author
- Part of Your World from The Little Mermaid
Akashi Rouse | Special Inspection Manager | Guam
Akashi is a certified Master of Special Inspection and manages BASE Guam’s special inspection projects and performs special inspections and QC during construction.
- Performing special inspections for The Tsubaki Tower. Seeing the structure built at the edge of the cliff overlooking Tumon Bay was a great introduction to my career with BASE.
- Crane operator
- The Impossible Dream from Man of La Mancha or Cherry Pie by Warrant
Karen Wu | Senior Structural Designer | Chicago
In the four years Karen has been with BASE, she’s developed knowledge of progressive collapse, high wind, and high seismic design.
- 1044 West Van Buren because it was the first high rise that I worked on for the duration of the project. It’s been fun seeing the progress and knowing it will be finished soon.
- Sugar, We’re Goin Down by Fall Out Boy
Christian Jones | Senior Structural Designer | Honolulu
Christian first joined BASE as a summer intern in 2019. He has since worked on high-rise residential structures and large public-sector facilities, and hotel renovations.
- The Honouliuli Wastewater Treatment Plant (Admin Building) because it was the first project that I designed.
- The general manager of an NBA or NFL team (preferably the Eagles or the Thunder)
- Don’t Stop Believing by Journey