STRUCTURAL DESIGNER (Chicago)
This is an entry-level position involved in the application of engineering fundamentals to design of building structural systems. This is a developmental position in which the engineer learns to apply theoretical knowledge to practical application.
The following duties are typical of the position but are not all encompassing. Each person is expected to help out in whatever duties are required to deliver a quality product on schedule.
- Performs routine design tasks such as member design, load calculation, and some shop drawing review.
- Is encouraged to try to solve engineering problems using experience, judgment and education but is expected to ask for assistance when needed.
- Input of data into pre-written computer programs. Review and understanding of output.
- Research code issues, structural systems, etc. under direction of senior-level engineers.
- Expected to become proficient in the use of a computer for design and CAD/Revit applications.
- May assist in the preparation of drawings for designs he/she has originated or from sketches provided by others.
- Maintain neat and organized work area which allows efficient access to project information required by other team members.
Knowledge and Experience Required
- Bachelors of Engineering Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from an accredited university. Masters of Engineering Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering preferred.
- Continue learning process by attending in-house seminars and continuing education opportunities outside of office. Completion of the Engineering-in-Training exam is required.
- 0-2 years previous design experience.